Some of you may well remember that Iksurfmag stepped forward at the last minute to save last years "Wavemasters" in Cornwall......and what an awesome event they ran too.
Since it was such a last minute event last year we have all been looking forward to see what they could do with this years event with a little more time to plan things.
Both the teams at IKSURFmag and Kiteworld Mag have been more hectic than ever, what with running their hugely successful magazines and with all the new 2016 kit coming out and needing reviews etc but also this year they took over the British Freestyle Champs but then this will also helped to hone their organising skills even more.
Unfortunately there is one element they cannot control - the Weather, and she really didn't want to play ball this year!
2014 IKSURFMAG WAVE CLASSIC....
The past two months the wind on the west coast has been fickle to say the least. We had a great summer of teaching here at the Blast school but once September arrived so did the lack of good winds, especially on the weekends which is when we needed them the most.
It became that bad Sarah and I decided to do a last minute trip to Morocco (there was no wind here to run lessons so why not) to get some much needed wind/surf, 6 out of 8 days it cranked!
Sarah & Marc in Morocco
Since returning we have only one weekend we could run lessons and these were in Easterly winds on the Gower, not our usual westerlies at either Porthcawl or Aberavon.
So, as the week of the Wavemasters approached everyone was getting excited, surely October in Cornwall would produce the goods?
Two weeks prior to the comp I saw the long term farming forecast and...it didn't look good! A huge high pressure was due to take over much of the Atlantic and in so doing so would pretty much rule out any deep lows swinging our way.
Sure enough this is exactly what happened.
The decision was made by Rou and Jim that the comp was not going to run...a tough call to make but the correct decision for sure. The winds were due to be very light mostly ENE with a very slight chance of wind for the Wednesday and small swell also.
It's such a long way for many people to travel with some coming from the far reaches of the UK such as George Noble up in North Scotland.
Sometimes this sport sucks balls!
But then again this is also the very reason that makes those special days just that...special!
I'm not sure if there will be a new date added once a good forecast is seen however I really hope it's not any time at the beginning of November as I'll be away in Brazil with Dimitri from Epic Kites doing a photo/video shoot and opening a new dealer/school.
Whatever the outcome, it is the hands of mother nature to have the last word on whether it goes ahead or not.