Kite Inflate Pressure

General Kitesurfing gossip
Ashers

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby Ashers » 10 Jun 2020, 09:35

Just wondering what is the correct inflate pressure and how can you accurately check.

I have a modern 6M which states 6PSI and when inflating with a pump with built in pressure gauge at 6PSI it seems very soft. In fact on the gauge the needle is still in the red zone :shock: I recently saw a vid which stated that a lot of modern kites are designed to fly at lower pressures so that they can twist more effectively and become more dynamic. In times gone by the mantra was to inflate rock hard so that they pinged when flicked with a finger but this seems now not correct.

Does anyone have any more scientific approaches. :?:

JamesVegas

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby JamesVegas » 10 Jun 2020, 11:54

I pump mine way over 10 PSI. I don't stop inflating the kite until it's getting hard to push the pump any longer. Unless your kites are very old/in poor condition or you're going to be continually slamming it into the water/beach it's unlikely you'll damage it. As far as I know most if not all kites perform better with more pressure in the LE.

Ashers

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby Ashers » 10 Jun 2020, 13:22

JamesVegas wrote:I pump mine way over 10 PSI. I don't stop inflating the kite until it's getting hard to push the pump any longer. Unless your kites are very old/in poor condition or you're going to be continually slamming it into the water/beach it's unlikely you'll damage it. As far as I know most if not all kites perform better with more pressure in the LE.

Yes that was my philosophy too, but kite says 6PSI and it needs over 10PSI to be hard, also have no idea how accurate the gauges are on the pumps anyway. I think it was in one of the recent KiteFinder.com vids that they were testing some kites and noticed the specified PSI requirement on the kite. They then reduced the pressure and re-flew the kite and found that physically it felt soft but it flew better. So maybe some validity in it being somewhere between the two extremes.

JamesVegas

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby JamesVegas » 10 Jun 2020, 14:06

A lot of kite manufactures give a 6PSI limit on their kites, I don't know anyone (apart from schools teaching beginners smashing kites into the sea) who would pump a kite to 6PSI. The last jumping clinic we managed to run Lewis Crathern talked about pressure. He said pump until you can't pump any more, every kite he checked on the beach was well under inflated, he also said that he hadn't seen a leading edge blow out in years and I imagine he sees a lot of kites. The only time I would consider under inflating would be if it was ridiculously hot. I'd be interested to know what kite they reviewed.

Ashers

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby Ashers » 10 Jun 2020, 15:25

JamesVegas wrote:A lot of kite manufactures give a 6PSI limit on their kites, I don't know anyone (apart from schools teaching beginners smashing kites into the sea) who would pump a kite to 6PSI. The last jumping clinic we managed to run Lewis Crathern talked about pressure. He said pump until you can't pump any more, every kite he checked on the beach was well under inflated, he also said that he hadn't seen a leading edge blow out in years and I imagine he sees a lot of kites. The only time I would consider under inflating would be if it was ridiculously hot. I'd be interested to know what kite they reviewed.

Hi James,
Can't locate the vid at the mo, will try later.

blast

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby blast » 10 Jun 2020, 16:21

As James mentioned above, we generally pump the kites till I struggle to get any more air in it....unless it's for students :lol:
The smaller the kites the harder I try to inflate them simply because they are going to be strio=onger gusty shitty winds but also the LE's are going to be narrower so therefore need more pressure (than say a 15m used in light winds)

The new North kites have the PSI printed on them next to the inflate valve, they actually increased the PSI on the Orbit's (before going into production) when they realised just how many people (not just pro's who'd likely already know) would be looping them in the top end of their ranges.

I think there are one or two brands that have kites designed to twist along the LE though but whether that means you should use a lower pressure I've no idea.
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Ashers

Kite Inflate Pressure

Postby Ashers » 11 Jun 2020, 08:42

Yes I think Plan 'A' makes more sense, and will proceed on this tried and tested method when next allowed to get anywhere near the open water. :cry:

Return to “Off The Lip”