Inland kitesurfing

General Kitesurfing gossip
Marke89

Inland kitesurfing

Postby Marke89 » 24 May 2020, 11:21

I have been trying to find a lake in and around the cotswolds area to do some kitesurfing when I'm not at home in Cardiff.

Most lakes are fisheries, but some of the big ones are sailing lakes. Most of them allow windsurfing but no one seems to allow kiting. I have contacted one that is 145acre lake ( plenty big enough in my opinion) but they said they have assessed it to not be big enough. There is fields around so plenty of space for landing and launching the kite. I know inland has its challenges because of gusts and thinner air.

I'm intrigued on what other peoples views are ? If they no anywhere that does actually allow ? Also I dont know much about windsurfing but apart from the obvious things with gusts and landing and launch with a kite, what other differences would windsurfing and kite surfing differentiate on a lake making kite surfing impossible but windsurfing completely fine?

Just want to be able to kite all the time :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance

JamesVegas

Inland kitesurfing

Postby JamesVegas » 24 May 2020, 13:02

Marke89 wrote:Just want to be able to kite all the time :lol: :lol:

Thanks in advance

You’ve picked the wrong sport then!

shavec

Inland kitesurfing

Postby shavec » 24 May 2020, 15:19

Even if the lake is big enough they might designate certain areas for windsurfing / sailing so effective area is smaller.

Then there are the hazards on the edges: rocks, trees, power lines etc etc which may not be where you launch from but where you end up.

On a windsurfer you can bung the rig on the back of the board and paddle to some extent. Probably easier than a kitesurfer who would have to pack down and swim if there was on issue.

alunj

Inland kitesurfing

Postby alunj » 24 May 2020, 16:42

Back in the day I used to windsurf on some of these lakes .
Several reasons why it’s horrible
1) the most gusty wind you could ever imagine
2) insanely cold water in winter
3) fresh water has less bouyancy so you need more colunemos the bord
4) the one that put me off ; risk of weils disease from rats

I was living in London the nearest windsurfable lake was queen Mary reservoir. I also windsurfed the one at theal near reading
Both were dreadful
I’d save your time to get to the coast indoor think I have ever seen anyone kiting inland in the uK in 20 years

blast

Inland kitesurfing

Postby blast » 24 May 2020, 16:44

It's pretty much a no no in the UK. They are mostly privately run or national trust etc
Windsurfing is possible but I know it's been tried to get a few lakes open to kitesurfing and all failed. Most lakes have trees etc on the banks too.

It's also generally extremely gusty inland...you would need a 5-12m for a session.

There are a few places abroad ie Garda in Italy but it's huge with good winds funneling down from the mountains but even there it's super challenging.
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Wenglish

Inland kitesurfing

Postby Wenglish » 25 May 2020, 00:46

I used to landboard before I starting kitesurfing and one thing that really stood out when visiting people inland was the gusts. What the locals considered a smooth wind would be conditions you wouldn’t bother flying in at the coast.

I always had massive respect for the people who would jump in those winds as you could find yourself in a lull mid jump and drop from the air or a gust would loft you and then the following lull wild drop you even faster.

Marke89

Inland kitesurfing

Postby Marke89 » 25 May 2020, 17:30

Cheers guys much appreciated, think I have obviously underestimated just how different the gusts are when on the water inland even though it seemed pretty consistent when walking around. The main lake I was looking at was about the 3 /4 of the size of coney bay with no trees or any kind of obstructions really and the sailors dont go out in the higher winds but they said no.

Think I'll just have to suck it up and give up on the idea :lol:

Return to “Off The Lip”