DIY Kite Foil

General Kitesurfing gossip
DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 17 May 2020, 12:30

Tried building a Hydrofoil out of wood. Yet to try this because of the Lockdown measures. The build was a breeze.

The finish for the Hydrofoil and Fuselage are both pine with a varnish coating. I thought about wood staining and painting but decided this looked more professional. I might give it a coat of Epoxy Resin to make it more aerodynamic in the future. I'll deal with this as and when.

Didn't bother documenting the build by video because it was quite easy and straightforward common sense. Also very cheap - surprisingly so. It came in at £145. I think a big drawback of hydrofoils is that they can't be paddled back to shore. To address this I will try and set the Hydrofoil in an old surfboard, one which needs serious repair and has some length and volume.

If anyone wants any information post a reply.

DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 17 May 2020, 22:01

Feel I've used this free time wisely. If anybody would like to order one I can make them at £200 wholesale. With a board of sorts attached to it is £300

blast

DIY Kite Foil

Postby blast » 18 May 2020, 09:49

Post up some photo's fella, so we can get an idea of what you are talking about?
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 18 May 2020, 10:53

blast

DIY Kite Foil

Postby blast » 18 May 2020, 14:03

Ah I thought you'd made it from scratch, I'm pretty sure this is the same that DaveF on here made.
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop

DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 18 May 2020, 16:58

Just assembled :roll:

How is it?

Should I Epoxy coating it so it will be better? I can only see the central fuselage being a drawback because it is bulkier than contemporary foils.

Sonnyrider

DIY Kite Foil

Postby Sonnyrider » 18 May 2020, 17:29

I thought you were meant to fibreglass them, otherwise they break. :?:

blast

DIY Kite Foil

Postby blast » 18 May 2020, 17:46

Sonnyrider wrote:I thought you were meant to fibreglass them, otherwise they break. :?:

Yeah DaveF wrapped his in fibre glass, and from what I recall, it was prob easier/better to just buy a half decent used setup :roll:

The strain these go through is immense and would not last long with just the wood that's for sure

#supportyourlocalshop

DaveF

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DaveF » 18 May 2020, 19:54

blast wrote:Ah I thought you'd made it from scratch, I'm pretty sure this is the same that DaveF on here made.

Not Really.
Mine was very loosely based on this https://www.seabreeze.com.au/News/Kites ... 49403.aspx
Wooden cores and Vac bagged carbon skins (2-3mm thick), with a lot of attention to fibre orientations in each layer.

“How is it” ...Well put it this way. Lee Harvey could ride it but said he thought it felt a bit flexi.

Learning to foil back then was pretty tough. It didn’t take me long to realise that it was worth getting a proper rig with some pedigree.

Without any reinforcement i suspect at best you will have something very flexi (= twitchy). Having a short mast might help a bit.
Last edited by DaveF on 19 May 2020, 07:41, edited 1 time in total.

DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 18 May 2020, 23:29

The wooden foil bolted to a new 130cm long wakeboard will come in at £245.

That's cheap.

If wood is not any good then I have a problem.

DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 19 May 2020, 18:40

Looks like I might struggle but I'm keen to see what happens. I just want to try the sport without spending £500. I think the Clearwater Aluminium one looks like it would be alright for racing. They are good quality but don't price it as an elitist's sport as it's only £330 delivered fully assembled. (Clearwater Hydrofoils).

If anyone wants to borrow my hydrofoil pm me. You break it you buy it.

blast

DIY Kite Foil

Postby blast » 19 May 2020, 19:54

DestinationDanger wrote:
If anyone wants to borrow my hydrofoil pm me. You break it you buy it.

LOL that is extremely likely, especially in our conditions here ;)

#supportyourlocalshop

DestinationDanger

DIY Kite Foil

Postby DestinationDanger » 19 May 2020, 21:03

TBF you can't be winking unless you have tried a wooden foil.

I'm thinking if the wooden foil is slow then maybe it's good for surfing. The surfing ones are designed to be slow, a lot of technology went into that. Maybe after all of their hi-tech analysis they'll end up with my wooden one. Apparently big wave foiling requires a heavy foil so probably would avoid Nazare initially. Durability may be an actual issue by then.

Here is a big wave foiling video to clarify.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fWhI3xeo1U

The racing is a free for all on the line so I'm not sure how High Tech the sport is when you add up all the constituent parts. I tried a race or two with a Formula Board and from what I could tell most people closed their eyes, pointed and went at about 40mph in the same direction.

blast

DIY Kite Foil

Postby blast » 19 May 2020, 22:03

I was winking to the fact it’s very possible if you lend it to someone they might well break it....and have pay for it.

There are plenty including me who have really smacked the foil into the seabed...at speed, i wouldn’t want to that on a wooden foil.

#supportyourlocalshop

Sonnyrider

DIY Kite Foil

Postby Sonnyrider » 20 May 2020, 08:34

They might break it just by doing a turn. I think it would be unfair to penalise someone if it broke. It's a weak structure and is prone to breakage. Hence why they sell the kits so you can fibreglass it. I believe it can still break after glassing.

And like Cark says, trying to plough a furrow in the sand is the norm, I hit a sand bar that was below the water and I couldn't see it whilst flying along in Portland harbour. Thankfully I only bent the screws for the front wing, it may have put a slight bend in the mast, I've yet to check that.

Return to “Off The Lip”