Aber Muck update

General Kitesurfing gossip
alunj

Aber Muck update

Postby alunj » 08 May 2019, 15:24

I met with St Modwens reps down at Aber yesterday, the stink was still about but they seem to have a possible lead.
Just down from the concrete cap on the worm farm pipe there is an exposed concrete pipeline. This is not on any of the site plans. The smell was pretty strong around it yesterday. They are now going to get a geophysical survey done to find out where it goes. After that then if it is the culprit a plan to remediate it. The worm farm also seems to be operating again but without a licence. NRW will be looking into that. Scum was present from half tide down the beach too but the Environmental guys were pretty convinced that's to do with the Welsh Water outfall at Swansea Dock

blast

Aber Muck update

Postby blast » 08 May 2019, 20:26

Nice one Alun, we will continue to try our best to avoid using the beach as we have been for the last year or two....at least at low tide if at all possible!
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Wenglish

Aber Muck update

Postby Wenglish » 08 May 2019, 22:01

If a company is operating without a licence surely they should just shut them down instantly?

If welsh water own an outflow that is causing pollution then don’t they need to address that?

Exposed pipes with a flow into the sea and no idea where is comes from without a survey? I don’t believe they done have plans showing it and who feeds into it.

It just seems like the beach is a dumping ground for anyone who wants to use it. Is there any point contacting the local MP? I don’t know what has been done but as I’m not working all the hours now I’d be happy to help any way I can.

4ndr3w

Aber Muck update

Postby 4ndr3w » 09 May 2019, 08:42

Alun, thanks for the update. Hopefully something can be done to sort it out.
0x27

alunj

Aber Muck update

Postby alunj » 10 May 2019, 10:45

Plans probably do exist but the handover from BP to St Modwen was chaotic (they paid £1 for the site)
From what I can glean St Modwen are not really interested but we are keeping up the pressure on them.
The Geophysical survey should determine what's going on with that pipe, in the meantime, we are going to use the drone to follow the line to see if we can see where it may come from assuming it runs in a straight line!
NRW is looking into the worm farm.

The biggest issue with the chemical smell is it's so localised, we walked the beach Tuesday, in the space of 10m the smell was there then gone, meaning the sampling is a bit hit and miss. All of the water samples have been within legal limits.

Stu, the outfall at Swansea is legal and the issue is probably nutrients causing the phytoplankton to go nuts as it has loads to eat!

Wenglish

Aber Muck update

Postby Wenglish » 10 May 2019, 18:55

Fish feed grants fraud boss Anthony Smith jailed https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48227597

Is this our worm farm?

blast

Aber Muck update

Postby blast » 24 Jun 2019, 21:25

Spotted this at Aber the last time we were there teaching (believe me we try to avoid this beach as best possible)
It seems even the rats can't cope with the shit that's in that water!

North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Return to “Off The Lip”