Newbie in pembrokeshire

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
Dex736

Newbie in pembrokeshire

Postby Dex736 » 05 Dec 2020, 21:13

Hi, my names Dexter and I'm keen to get into kite surfing in the new year but for now have treated myself to a 3mtr peter lynne hornet to learn the ropes with first. Not into Facebook etc so would really be keen to hear of any local groups to possibly meet up with to get some advice/pointers. Had my first outing today and struggled to get the kite in the air but optimistic that tomorrow will be more successful :D

blast

Newbie in pembrokeshire

Postby blast » 05 Dec 2020, 21:30

Welcome to the forum fella.
Good choice to get a foil kite especially as it will give you plenty of time to learn kite skills over the coming winter months.
The winds were probably just too light today to fly it however also try to fly it somewhere with no obstructions to the wind upwind of you.
Splash is our man down west, he'll be able to help out with advice on where to go etc
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / RRD / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Ensis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

splashtestdummy

Newbie in pembrokeshire

Postby splashtestdummy » 06 Dec 2020, 11:26

Dex736 wrote:Hi, my names Dexter and I'm keen to get into kite surfing in the new year but for now have treated myself to a 3mtr peter lynne hornet to learn the ropes with first. Not into Facebook etc so would really be keen to hear of any local groups to possibly meet up with to get some advice/pointers. Had my first outing today and struggled to get the kite in the air but optimistic that tomorrow will be more successful :D

Hi Dex736. Where are you located in Pembrokeshire?? I’m just outside Saundersfoot. We are really spoilt here the beaches and conditions are superb and any wind direction is kiteable. Always happy to talk kiting!!

Dex736

Newbie in pembrokeshire

Postby Dex736 » 06 Dec 2020, 13:35

Thanks for the reply, think I've jinxed the wind a bit today! I'm located in tenby so just on your doorstep splashtestdummy I'd be keen on any advice I can get as a complete novice and there's a limit to how much you can learn on you tube. Will be enrolling on a course as soon as were all allowed out again and the weather warns up a bit

splashtestdummy

Newbie in pembrokeshire

Postby splashtestdummy » 06 Dec 2020, 16:23

Dex736 wrote:Thanks for the reply, think I've jinxed the wind a bit today! I'm located in tenby so just on your doorstep splashtestdummy I'd be keen on any advice I can get as a complete novice and there's a limit to how much you can learn on you tube. Will be enrolling on a course as soon as were all allowed out again and the weather warns up a bit

There was nothing forecast for today anyway. I’ll let you know when I’m kiting if you like. Definitely have some lessons, get a couple of kites and get out. So long as you don’t leave it weeks between your sessions you’ll be up and riding in no time. There’s plenty of kiters here so you’ll always have company on the water.

Dex736

Newbie in pembrokeshire

Postby Dex736 » 07 Dec 2020, 13:46

That would be great if you don't mind. Be nice to meet someone in the know. I'm about most weekends as I work away during the week. Just hope there's some wind this coming weekend to try and get my kite setup. Found it hard to steer on Saturday didn't seem responsive to my inputs on the bar. Did have the added laughter of watching the father in law get propelled at one point because he was afraid to let go of the bar when it got a bit much!

Return to “Newbie's”