W/Ending 2nd August

Where/When to meet up with others for a Session!
Rob_Rams

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby Rob_Rams » 01 Aug 2020, 12:21

I was going to keep an eye on the wind but hoping to get there for betweent 2:30 and 3:00.

DaveF

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby DaveF » 01 Aug 2020, 12:54

blast wrote:
DaveF wrote:Yeah. It’s pretty rammed here too :lol:

...I take it there is some sea somewhere there :lol: :shock:

I hope so. Otherwise I have just had a foil session in sand :lol:

Barunka

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby Barunka » 01 Aug 2020, 16:12

Rob_Rams wrote:I was going to keep an eye on the wind but hoping to get there for betweent 2:30 and 3:00.

sorry, chickened out today. but guess u met others there.

blast

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby blast » 01 Aug 2020, 16:38

Marke89 wrote:
blast wrote:I have been saying for way too many years.. Its up to everyone to police it not just me Richie and James etc... Everyone should be helping to point out the zones, the rights of way etc etc

Would it be worth getting proper signs made up?. Have one by the wall ( as the paint is coming off ) and one by the lifeguard station. Which could also point out to some surfers especially some beginners surfers that decide to sit right in the middle of the kite zone also have that information. I remember once I just had a f**k off when a guy with 3 young kids learning to surf was directly in the kite zone, on a direct onshore whilst still learning basics myself. Equally having no signs for the people that come down that aren't local and don't know the beach don't really know the rules unless told ( granted they should have some common sense)

There are already signs with the zones on the pay/display and the slipway but these zones are only voluntary, we certainly can't tell surfers to get out of the kite zone and it's really the same the other way around.
We are just asking beach users and especially kitesurfers/surfers to follow common sense.
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Marke89

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby Marke89 » 01 Aug 2020, 17:44

[/quote]

There are already signs with the zones on the pay/display and the slipway but these zones are only voluntary, we certainly can't tell surfers to get out of the kite zone and it's really the same the other way around.
We are just asking beach users and especially kitesurfers/surfers to follow common sense.[/quote]

Oh really, how big are these signs ? Because I can honestly say iv never noticed them. How ever I never really walk down the slipway. Maybe worth having one by the walk way ? I never told him to get out i just said it was probably safer. At the same time we can ask people to use common sense but some people you have to make it obvious to. Interested to know is it locals ignoring the zones or is it generally people that don't usually use the beach ?

JulezV2

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby JulezV2 » 01 Aug 2020, 18:46

Signs at the top of where the coastal path wraps around would be good too as some kiters need to be made aware of the rules.

The signs next to the RNLI hut perhaps need a kiting zone indicator on them ? That way swimmers/surfers will know where we are. Using the golf club house as a reference would help ? Saunton Sands has such a large sign right at the entrance to the beach.

You'll find there are a heap load of people that don't have a clue about 75ft lines, kiters moving at 20Mph and how we manoeuvre.

I'd guess there are a lot down there that have limited knowledge of the sea; rips, zones of activity, drop in etiquette etc etc. Most of the good surfers will be in the quieter more 'secret' surf locations.

One just has to be uber vigilant. Not just on the water but also land when launching/landing it is even more imperative when busy to have a helper. Wrapping kite an lines around a 4 years old would not go down well.

We live in exceptional times. Think ourselves lucky its not like this every year. Shows how many people live on this small Island.

Hopefully in the next few months the scene will change, along with the weather.

Jules

blast

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby blast » 01 Aug 2020, 19:30

Oops I didn't mean you Marc89, I was talking in general :lol:
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop

blast

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby blast » 01 Aug 2020, 19:36

The thing you all have to realise is that the "signage" is very unofficial.
As soon as it's official then the council/beach owners (it's a private beach) will become liable for any incidents.

There is a sign on the wall of the slipway and on the pay/displays although one did fall off and I need to re-attach it....but signs on there own no matter how big will fix the problem.
It's not normally locals but rather visiting kitesurfer's.
Today with it being warm/sunny, the surfers started to push further and further up the beach till in the end we had a tiny useable area to use. Added to this the public walking the shore line, paddlers, swimmers etc it was hard to say the least.

#supportyourlocalshop

marcw

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby marcw » 01 Aug 2020, 22:21

Now that's a beautiful bike!

Marke89

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby Marke89 » 01 Aug 2020, 22:55

blast wrote:Oops I didn't mean you Marc89, I was talking in general :lol:

:lol: Don't worry, I didn't think you were. It was more the amount of times iv been down there and not noticed the signs then the non locals Will certainly hardly notice, but then again I already know where the zones are.

With the signs you can just put a disclaimer in small writing at the bottom that takes out any liability. At the end of the day if you go in the sea it effectively should be at your own risk anyway. I just think clear signage will definitely help out the non locals and effectively helps us from.getting on the wrong side of the RNLI. All of us want to protect each other and protect the sport we love. And definitely restbay as a spot.

JamesVegas

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby JamesVegas » 01 Aug 2020, 23:00

The issue of signage has been discussed before and if I remember correctly we won't get permission to erect a dedicated sign which is why we opted to put signs on the slipway wall and on the parking meters. Marc is right, official signage is potentially going to lead to questions about liability and we don't want the council looking at whether our sport is safe to practice on a busy beach.

If everyone who reads this forum is willing to help to highlight the kite zone to those who don't know it when they are at the beach there should be no reason we can't co exist with all the other beach users. If the conditions are light and you're getting dragged down wind there is no shame in walking back up the beach rather than kiting straight through all the surfers like the guy on the 14.5 Flexifoil today.

DaveF

W/Ending 2nd August

Postby DaveF » 02 Aug 2020, 13:47

marcw wrote:

Now that's a beautiful bike!

Old and simple...a bit like it’s owner :lol:

Return to “Sessions”