What to do if kite rolls so kite cannot relaunch

General Kitesurfing gossip
DestinationDanger

Postby DestinationDanger » 31 Aug 2019, 15:55

Hi

I have trouble sometimes. If the kite rolls so it twists in the lines it cannot relaunch - that is if you're using 5 lines.

I solved the problem by getting a 4 line bar. If it rolls with 4 lines I think it is possible to untangle it... Although It wouldn't untangle for me the other day.

I now changed my mind as 5 lines seems better because in surf or any conditions when the safety is pulled the kite hovers upside down above the surf. I now think this is better because it is less likely to cause an issue in chop/surf and there is always some chop.

Question is: If the kite rolls so one of the lines is passing indirectly to the kite (around another) is it possible to get the lines back to the correct lineup when using a 4 line bar?

splashtestdummy

Postby splashtestdummy » 31 Aug 2019, 21:11

Yes but you need to unhook and pass the bar through the lines which is easy enough on land or shallow water practicing but doing it in the surf is another world of pain...YouTube has a few videos...

DestinationDanger

Postby DestinationDanger » 04 Sep 2019, 19:48

Thanks. I thought that was it. I must have lost concentration whilst paddling around. Again I am now more wary about going far out. Four lines on a 13m or under seems a good idea to me if on flat water but if in waves I'd say 5 lines as when ditched the kite hovers in the air on the 5th lines so it is safer like that in surf as it helps not getting tangled in the lines.

Someone I know was going all over the Solent on a raceboard a while ago so it is encouraging to get along the coast a bit however it is still dangerous even if you are on a giant race board. Someone went into cliffs in the Solent recently but who knows what they were doing. Also the tides and shipping traffic down there must be epic in comparison to Swansea.

splashtestdummy

Postby splashtestdummy » 04 Sep 2019, 20:31

I’ve had the kite roll in the water a few times not many. When it’s happened I’ve still re launched and managed to get back to shore. That’s with 4 lines though

blast

Postby blast » 04 Sep 2019, 21:06

I would never ever use a 5line kite in waves. .... Not used one since about 2004 and now they are pretty much extinct, with all brands long time stopped using them.
Like Jon said if you drop s 5 line kite in surf even if it does roll you can still launch it.
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

DestinationDanger

Postby DestinationDanger » 06 Sep 2019, 10:04

North Trust bar was predominantly 5 line option in 2013. I expect it is the exception. They were recommending 5 lines on North Dynos at the time.

blast

Postby blast » 06 Sep 2019, 10:11

The old North were the last to hold onto the 5 line kites across the range, but now it's only seen on the harder core C kites.
Actually PLKB just released a new C kite only yesterday and it's also a 5 line kite, but it won't be seen much in the surf, just flat water lagoons by progressive freestyle riders (and wannabe's) ;)

https://www.peterlynnkiteboarding.com/peter-lynn-raw

North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Return to “Off The Lip”