Weather station Rest Bay

General Kitesurfing gossip
blast

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby blast » 02 Mar 2019, 18:54

Updates here please:
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

blast

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby blast » 02 Mar 2019, 18:56

SteveT's posts
Thought I would try this
Used Porthcawl life boat station FB messenger to send

As a very active member of the local kitesurfing community and somebody that has actively promoted water safety throughout my adult life. I find it very disappointing to continually see that the live weather data that you can provide is absent. This information is totally invaluable to the local water users and helps us make proactive decisions regarding our own and community members safety. As you will agree proactive risk assessment utilising good quality information drives good behaviours and helps prevent incidents and accidents and the need to put rescue services at jeopardy. Please do what ever it takes to fix the systems that provide the local communities with live weather data. In particular wind speed and direction. Many thanks.

Will post any reply. Feel free to improve and use the above and send it over to them

-------------------------

That did not take long ;)

Hi Steve thanks for getting in touch. The weather feed / website is managed by a 3rd party company for us. There is a constant issue with the weather data feed to the site freezing and they are unable to find a permanent solution at present. Maybe it’s safer not to have the information on the site at all, so as not to mislead people. It is possible to get the live weather data using an app called weatherlink 2.0 - search for Porthcawl RNLI lifeboat.

I’ll discuss it with our station manager this weekend to decide the best way forward with regard to the information on our site.

Kind regards,
Chris

------------------------

The full conversation thread below for information - I understand the hardware that used to be on the cafe at rest is private property and as such might not be available. But it would be interesting to know if they would accommodate third party hardware we could collectively provid?

Chris. If you need any support with resolution we may have within our community people with the skills to help fix this? I am sure this support would be freely given.

Thanks Steve, I believe it is more Davis (manufacturer of weather station equipment and its software) causing the issue than our side but I’ll see what options there are to finding a long term fix so the info is reliable - it used to be when we first installed it. The original intention was our launch authorities and Coastguard could use the information so it’s as important to us as well as people like yourself it’s reliable again.

Chris we may have access to hardware that could be utilised? There is a set of devices we had located on the rest bay cafe that is currently not utilised. Let me know is this is of interest to you
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop

blast

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby blast » 02 Mar 2019, 18:59

Thanks Steve,
I have already been in talks with regards a new location for a weather station at Rest Bay (as mentioned I don't think it likely we will be able to use the new cafe.
Chris is well aware of the issues with the weather station but the more who make contact with the RNLI about this matter it's sure to help get it sorted for once and for all.

ps There is quite likely going to be a new improved webcam too.

#supportyourlocalshop

St3v3t

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby St3v3t » 02 Mar 2019, 19:01

The app he suggested is really very good too. I had not looked at that app before
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!
Core Kites

blast

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby blast » 02 Mar 2019, 19:10

St3v3t wrote:The app he suggested is really very good too. I had not looked at that app before

There have been issues with that app too, it was not working much of last year.

#supportyourlocalshop

alunj

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby alunj » 02 Mar 2019, 21:18

The Davis weatherlink software is unusable and absolute rubbish , it crashes and needs restarting every few days I used it in the early days of rest and aber .
The only really reliablesoftware is meteobridge . I haven’t neede to reset aber in over a year. Batteries have gone flat but software is 100% Put me in touch with whoever is needed at the station and I can make their feed 99.9 % reliable .
Last edited by alunj on 02 Mar 2019, 21:23, edited 1 time in total.

alunj

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby alunj » 02 Mar 2019, 21:22

St3v3t

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby St3v3t » 02 Mar 2019, 22:50

alunj wrote:The Davis weatherlink software is unusable and absolute rubbish , it crashes and needs restarting every few days I used it in the early days of rest and aber .
The only really reliablesoftware is meteobridge . I haven’t neede to reset aber in over a year. Batteries have gone flat but software is 100% Put me in touch with whoever is needed at the station and I can make their feed 99.9 % reliable .

Think they would like to talk to you Alun. Can you pm me contact details you would like me to give them ?

Hi Steve, this sounds promising, thanks! It’s our web company (PC1 in Swansea) who run the techy side of things for us. It would be good to make use of Alun’s experience as it’s the weatherlink software I believe is causing the issue with the website feed
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!
Core Kites

DaveF

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby DaveF » 29 Mar 2019, 08:57

A while back I emailed Porthcawl RNLI Point out the value of the weather station to us and asking if there was anything we could do to help improve the reliability.
For info,
Just had this reply:

Hi Dave,

We have had the weather data feed to our website updated to use the new API which was released recently by Davis (the manufacturer of our weather station). We're hoping this resolves the issue and proves a long term fix. It seems stable since switching over. The weather page on our site now shows when the data was last updated and uses 10 minute average information.

We are aware of an occasional issue when the wind direction vane occasionally gets caught with the anemometer of our other weather station. This only happens sporadically and not very often. We need a large cherry picker to access the roof in order to separate them apart to stop this happening which when we get an opportunity will have them moved apart to prevent this happening.

Kind regards,

So hopefully the problem is largely fixed?
For those who haven’t already looked, the Davis WeatherLink app/website is certainly worth a look.

tonyn1

Weather station Rest Bay

Postby tonyn1 » 29 Mar 2019, 11:04

Good news.... thanks Dave :D
You only have one life,, So LIVE it and have a BLAST !

Return to “Off The Lip”