Arguments to keep the straps....

General Kitesurfing gossip
blast

Postby blast » 23 Feb 2019, 10:06

North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 23 Feb 2019, 22:09

:lol:
0x27

blast

Postby blast » 24 Feb 2019, 09:59

So much of it is true though!
Using a surfboard should be all about riding waves, big bottom turns, powerful hacks etc
That's why people but them surely?
We see way too many people losing the straps as quick as they possibly can and yet they in reality they aren't even capable of riding waves and doing simple turns on the wave face. What many don't see is the experienced spent many many years with straps back in the day, they did their apprenticeship.

My next board is having inserts again for two reasons.
1/. it's easier to sell on after.
2/. for when it's either really big lumpy surf or nuking winds.

There is a time and a place for everything.

I see Kai Lenny shredding with straps too!! 8-)
North / Ozone / PLKB / Airush / Epic / CrazyFly / Shinn / Mystic / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 24 Feb 2019, 15:13

I wouldn't say so much of it is true. Some of it is true, for sure.

Like you say when it's nuking it makes it easier, in my experience it's easier to get going from the shore line as the white water or shore dump does make live hard if you're strapless. Been there done that :D
But once out there, I don't find it hard. Only time it's hard, is when it's big slabs coming at you, quickly followed by a lot of white water. But as long as you've got a leash, you don't lose your board, been there too :D

A lot of what he's saying eg, newbie trying to start strapless doesn't make you cool. "looking cool, isn't cool"

It's funny, now there's 'sounding's of strapless isn't the way, strapped is the way now. lol, couple of years ago, it was the other way round :lol:

For me, it's 'funny' that someone is telling us strapped is the only way unless it's glass in between and on the face. I say BS, you can still have a lot of fun out there without straps, even in windy messy days. I've had some really good sessions in windy, messy days with my Converse, tacking to a break point through chop. Very little glass, but some great sessions nonetheless

"Most of the time it will change a bow-legged shaky session into a crazy fun free-riding experience!" he says. Only time I'm shaky is when it's light wind and trying to swap feet or when I'm doing some foot swaps in bouncy chop. Both of those scenarios will make you better at board handling and foot placing. With straps you're tied into a compromise.

For me straps are not placed in the ideal place, they are placed in a compromise position. I really struggle swapping feet around when straps are there.
I definitely do not find it uncomfortable to be strapless, because I can place my feet where I want or need them. I find it uncomfortable if I am strapped. It puts my ankles and knees in positions that feel just plain wrong, putting pressure on my joints.
They really put me off :(

Surely it's more about what you're enjoying, rather than listening to what someone else thinks is cool or not cool.

All IMO of course :D
0x27

blast

Postby blast » 26 Feb 2019, 21:37

Erm like I said, there's a time and a place ;)

One of the things to note (especially for today's newcomers to directionals) is that many if not all the seasoned pro's did their apprenticeship wth straps long before going strapless.

#supportyourlocalshop

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 26 Feb 2019, 22:14

still sounds elitist :P
0x27

blast

Postby blast » 26 Feb 2019, 22:48

Sonnyrider wrote:still sounds elitist :P

What does?
I’m in favour of both, do whatever you makes you feel good.
As said my next custom I’m having inserts so I have the choice.

#supportyourlocalshop

JulezV2

Postby JulezV2 » 01 Mar 2019, 14:48

I've settled on a single front strap.

"twisted ankle" i hear you cry. However the front strap is very very loose and used just for locating the foot and a handle (!). I find this easier jumping on the board when starting or deep water starting.

Often in lighter winds the rear pad is too far back anyway and I find it does help keep the board located to the foot.

Some of us, like me are simply not natural on a directional, have limited surf experience on a short board hence need all the help we can get.

So rather than look cool, go with the trend etc I'll keep my front strap and if its windy even put two straps on the Converse and have an untalented blast about oh and learn to ride toe side better.

Great debate though. And it comes down to whatever floats your boat safely whilst having fun.

Jules

Return to “Off The Lip”