Porthcawl Wind Meter

General Kitesurfing gossip
AbsC1

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby AbsC1 » 15 Jun 2022, 15:20

Hi

I am looking at the Porthcawl RNLI wind meter through Davis weather app. It always seems to be reading North for the wind direction, am I looking in the wrong place or are others finding this too? Wind speed seems to be working fine
Airush Diamond Series , Bronotti Riptide

blast

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby blast » 15 Jun 2022, 17:10

AbsC1 wrote:Hi

I am looking at the Porthcawl RNLI wind meter through Davis weather app. It always seems to be reading North for the wind direction, am I looking in the wrong place or are others finding this too? Wind speed seems to be working fine

Yeah I now just ignore the direction as it has not been accurate for years.
North / Ozone / Airush / RRD / PLKB / Shinn / Mystic

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Djwatson

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby Djwatson » 04 Aug 2022, 15:43

As it's getting so pricey to fire up the old van for the big round trip for a kite I can't afford as many "have a look just in case" days, could do with some live weather data- is the RNLI station working? Are there any other stations nearby that give some useful info? I've found the webcams already

Cheers

blast

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby blast » 05 Aug 2022, 06:39

I use the Porthcawl RNLI meter on the Davis App, it's a bit flakey at times but it's generally quite a good gauge at least.
North / Ozone / Airush / RRD / PLKB / Shinn / Mystic

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

shavec

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby shavec » 05 Aug 2022, 16:58

Sorry to be a pain in asking but what happened to the station at rest bay? Prove to be too much of a pain in the backside with sim cards etc? (Thanks to the work that went in to trying)

Djwatson

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby Djwatson » 05 Aug 2022, 22:45

Thanks for the tip on the Davis app!

JamesVegas

Porthcawl Wind Meter

Postby JamesVegas » 06 Aug 2022, 08:50

shavec wrote:Sorry to be a pain in asking but what happened to the station at rest bay? Prove to be too much of a pain in the backside with sim cards etc? (Thanks to the work that went in to trying)

Yes it is a massive pain in the arse. Initially the weather station was working well on the website that we had built, however EE (our mobile service provider) blocked the site because it's behind a VPN, something they do to stop dodgy websites being hosted on their network. I've tried various other service providers but coverage is poor at Rest Bay and none of those seemed to work hence the weather station no uploading to the web. I think I'm going to have to go back to an EE SIM which will at least give us updates to the Davis Weather App which is obviously better than nothing. I popped in the the surf club yesterday to get the stuff I need and I'll go back next week so hopefully it'll be up and running again by the middle of next week.

Return to “Off The Lip”