Tarifa August

Kitesurfing Holidays, Trips and Events
Joszone

Tarifa August

Postby Joszone » 23 Apr 2018, 16:58

Hey. I'm going to Tarifa in August. I was going to take my kites, but i have read it can be so busy that it is classed as off-season and some of the beaches are a no go. Do you think i should try anyway? If so should i just take my 8m as i have heard it is small kites only, or should I pack a 12m as well?

Any info much appreciated

Jos

alunj

Tarifa August

Postby alunj » 23 Apr 2018, 18:40

I have been in the past (the long and distant past )
August was super windy and very very busy and that was in the 90's :) With windsurfers
When the Levante blows hard you will want a 3-5 m kite! Bear in mind it will be cross to cross off
I have also heard that in August several of the beaches are closed to kites meaning that on the available beach there can be up to 1000 kites
There is a recent guide here
http://www.progression.me/blog/travel-t ... ifa-spain/
http://www.alexpastorkiteclub.com/en/ki ... ing-guide/

I loved Tarifa as a place but peak times can be a bit mental. Visit Canos de Mecca, Jerez, The White villages like Rhonda

-------------------
June-August

You can kite in Los Lances Norte, Valdevaqueros and Punta Paloma. In Los Lances there are kite zones divided for schools and riders. In Valdevaqueros there are zones for kitesurfers and beach goers/sunbathers. From 1st of June till 30th of September there is a rescue boat service available for offshore conditions, you can buy rescue card/token that you can use in case of an emergency, we strongly suggest to buy it beforehand, otherwise the rescue will cost a lot more. If you want to get to the spots, you will need a car. It can get quite busy so it’s always good to get to the beach early to find a parking spot without any queues. The town is usually full of people, so we recommend to book accommodation in advance, but the prices are usually high. If you like to party, this is your time to shine. Whilst in Mid season there’s only nightlife a couple days per week, in Summer you can go out every single day and it’s always full of people, from midnight until 6-7am.

blast

Tarifa August

Postby blast » 23 Apr 2018, 20:10

Tarifa is nice to visit.....for a day! 8-)
Duotone / Ozone / Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Josd

Tarifa August

Postby Josd » 23 Apr 2018, 23:51

Hey thanks for the info. I'm traveling around, Seville, Cadiz, tarifa and Ronda.
My smallest kite is 8m. Do you think it's worth packing a 12m for early morning or at late night? Is it like cape town where it goes from nothing to 30knts within an hour. I'm more of a low wind kind of guy :roll:

blast

Tarifa August

Postby blast » 24 Apr 2018, 09:04

I have had some great flat water sessions near Cadiz

Same rule applies to this area as any other............take them all!
It can be anything from your biggest kite to your smallest
Duotone / Ozone / Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop

Josd

Tarifa August

Postby Josd » 24 Apr 2018, 09:53

Brill. Can you remember the name of the beach you flew in Cadiz?
Much appreciato
jos

blast

Tarifa August

Postby blast » 24 Apr 2018, 11:05

I think it was just north of Playa de la Barossa, there was a little sand bank Island just off shore from the beach, also Canos De Mecca further south is great, I just plain avoided the Tarifa beaches, at least during the summer months.

#supportyourlocalshop

Josd

Tarifa August

Postby Josd » 18 Aug 2018, 18:05

Hey.
I'm in tarifa now (7pm) and it's windy but there's no one kite surfing! There were loads out this morning but it was too windy for me. It seems nice now but no one out! Does anyone know why? I wondered if the safety boats had a siesta? :roll:

St3v3t

Tarifa August

Postby St3v3t » 18 Aug 2018, 18:10

Josd

When ever you kite some where new always ask the locals about how it works there. ;)

It's too late to manage the hazards when your suddenly in the middle of them. I have the scars to prove it. Rock up tomorrow when loads are out and check out and take the advice given.

Enjoy your trip -Stay safe
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!

Josd

Tarifa August

Postby Josd » 19 Aug 2018, 19:28

Cheers dude.
I had a chat and apparently it's even too insane for the locals. 40 knts gusts. There were a few out on 6m this afternoon but it looked so gusty. I feel like less of a pussy now. :idea:

blast

Tarifa August

Postby blast » 19 Aug 2018, 21:02

When it blows in Tarifa....it really blows!! It's also know for being incredibly gusty (as well as super crowded).

Better to live for another (more sensible) day!
Hope you score it good!!

ps it's always wise to speak to the locals to get a better idea of conditions etc

#supportyourlocalshop

Return to “Holidays/Events”