Afternoon All!

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
rakel

Afternoon All!

Postby rakel » 10 Apr 2016, 16:18

Hey,

Ive just moved down to Chepstow and i want to get out and kiting. Im not a complete newbie, as in i can get up and get going but its been a while.

Where abouts is the best place to go?

(i want ideally flat-ish water and not to deep, as i don't want to be put off completely.)

Are people okay with newbies on the water?

Thanks

St3v3t

Re: Afternoon All!

Postby St3v3t » 10 Apr 2016, 18:54

Hello rakel

New people are always welcome on (and in) the water. :D

You will have loads of great kiting beaches to chose from. Use the forum to inform you where people are going and why. You will soon find your favours spots. Many on the forum tend to use the beaches in South Wales. Coney, Rest Bay, Abberavon, Oxwhich etc etc etc

Flat-ish and shallow? Good luck with that if you find any you must let us know!

Enjoy
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!

blast

Postby blast » 10 Apr 2016, 23:09

Hi and a big welcome to the forum.

There is flat(ish) water to be had further west at Pembrey etc but I would not rush to kite there as a beginner, better to master your riding on the regular beaches so you can then manage any conditions that you may face.

We see way too many people who kite at Pembrey who then really struggle at the other beaches, so much so they rarely then kite anywhere else...it can also be very very shallow so this can also be dangerous (wrists/shoulders etc)

Waves will soon become your friend, offering flat water between them, ramps to boost off and most importantly keeping every session different to the last!

Of course there are a few who will not agree with the above but this has alway been my opinion and I have seen nothing over the years to change my mind, in fact quite the opposite.
Ozone / Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Axis

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

rakel

Postby rakel » 11 Apr 2016, 12:10

Morning,
Thanks for the replies. For any of the beaches do you need a permit?

St3v3t

Postby St3v3t » 11 Apr 2016, 12:21

I have not been to one in this area yet that required one. Some are at of necessity pay to park and are often red hot at enforcement. so expect a parking fine if you don't pay and display

However, highly recommended that you have third party liability insurance as a minimum - BKSA or similar.
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!

JamesVegas

Postby JamesVegas » 12 Apr 2016, 08:16

Exactly what Marc said. Once you've mastered Porthcawl and Aberavon you'll be able to ride most places in the world. Personally I like Aberavon for beginners, there is literally miles of beach and hours of time to ride in-between the high tide line and not such a long trek from Chepstow.

paulie_amoose

Postby paulie_amoose » 17 Apr 2016, 10:30

rakel wrote:Are people okay with newbies on the water?

I don't think I know anyone who isn't OK with newbies on water. We were there once! Compared to other places on the UK S Wales isnt that crowded..
0x27

rakel

Postby rakel » 17 Apr 2016, 20:53

That's good to know, down in south England people could get a bit funny. But like you say everyone was there at some point :D

Return to “Newbie's”