Buoyancy Aids

Safety first!
08cook.ja

Buoyancy Aids

Postby 08cook.ja » 09 Jan 2017, 21:51

Hi
I'm new to kiting and have come from a dinghy sailing background.. (realised Kiteboarding is way more fun)
One thing that seems different is that no-one seems to wear buoyancy aids kiting…?
Can anyone shed any light on this? - I'm guessing its personal preference but the bulk of Kiters I've seen don't bother.

Cheers,

JC

Wanky Shit Demon

Re: Buoyancy Aids

Postby Wanky Shit Demon » 09 Jan 2017, 22:41

There's no harm in wearing one if you're starting out and a bit lacking in confidence. I wore one in the beginning and started wearing it again after I started having blackouts. Most of us find that a wetsuit gives enough buoyancy on the occasions when you're in the water. My advice is wear one if it makes you feel safer, you can always change your mind later.

08cook.ja

Postby 08cook.ja » 10 Jan 2017, 07:40

Okay thanks,
Think I'll just wear one to start especially when the winds up 8-)
I imagine it gets in the way when you're doing tricks etc.
I'm far off that right now!

blast

Postby blast » 10 Jan 2017, 09:48

AS WSD says above it's personal choice...like helmets.

Very few people wear them, those that do tend to use "impact vests" that are thinner less bulky, made to fit under the harness and they don't rise up as easy...in front of your face!

They are NOT buoyancy aids though but they will obviously add a little more floatation but if you were knocked out then only a "life jacket is going to stop you from drowning. They also offer another layer of insulation so a bit of added warmth on cold days.

There is a trade of though with the bulk, I have one for when I started to foil board, chose not to use it after two sessions.

http://blastkiteboarding.co.uk/mystic-star-impact-vest/

At the end of the day it's only you who can decide
Peter Lynn /Epic / Shinn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
#supportyourlocalshop

Julez

Postby Julez » 23 Mar 2017, 17:49

Bouancy aids such as those used in WW kayak etc do not guarantee that if knocked out they will provide face up floatation. You need a specific BA to achieve that with a neck floatation section.

As Mark says i use an impact vest and always wear a helmet. This seems to all work ok.

Cheers.

Jules

Return to “Safety”