Lighter Wind Options?

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
Julez

Lighter Wind Options?

Postby Julez » 25 Aug 2016, 11:55

Hi again,

What are the thoughts on lighter wind (say sub 15kts) riding?

Bigger kite, bigger board or both ?

My largest kite is a Catalyst v1 12m and a 139x42.5 board. I'm ok from around 15kts at my level, maybe very slightly less but that involves a walk back up the beach.

Thanks.

Jules

blast

Re: Lighter Wind Options?

Postby blast » 25 Aug 2016, 12:42

The bigger board will make a huge difference (just don't expect to be busting out your best moves on a door board)
At the race I just attended in Sweden all the main TT guys were on huge "doors" as they really do excel in light winds, they are also a hell of a lot cheaper than a big kite.

Obviously then you have even more light wind dedicated boards like freerace boards like the Airush Sector (we have a used one for sale as new) and now latterly the new Foil boards..the ultimate light wind boards.
Both these boards absolutely rock up wind too, they make long distance kiting a breeze (pardon the pun)
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/airush-sector-used/
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Julez

Postby Julez » 25 Aug 2016, 12:49

Thanks Marc

As always..that makes sense.

As you know my desire is Directional so maybe something like a Sector could work even if I just use it like a TT but rotating it at the end of each run.

I've seen also the Shinn Speedball which looks weird but the W20 may go well in light winds ?

How did the event go for you ?

Cheers.

Jules

blast

Postby blast » 25 Aug 2016, 13:00

Yeh the Speedball is a weird one, my take on it is more of a big blokes board
Check out this one too: http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk/blan ... kiteboard/
You'll see the one with the four fins closer to the heel side edge, this is one of the boards we use in the school as it really is so so much easier

The race was a bit of a washout, super light off shore winds at the start line, most kites ended up in the water, I decided not to bother as largest kite was a 12m and even the big 17m plus kites were falling out of the sky. I spent the day with my daughter instead ;)

Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Julez

Postby Julez » 25 Aug 2016, 13:45

blast wrote:The race was a bit of a washout, super light off shore winds at the start line, most kites ended up in the water, I decided not to bother as largest kite was a 12m and even the big 17m plus kites were falling out of the sky. I spent the day with my daughter instead

...Seems my question about LW kiting was apt !

I need to try one of these beasts on your return.

Seems the options for a LW board are:

Bigger TT (or wider)
Mutant
Directional

Blimey...just how many options does kiting present ?! Fun mind.

Jules

Wanky Shit Demon

Postby Wanky Shit Demon » 25 Aug 2016, 17:12

Big kite and big board for sure. For example the Cabrinha Contra 14m I'm selling and possibly the Shinn Speedball 18 I also don't use much ;)

Julez

Postby Julez » 25 Aug 2016, 18:32

Pinged you WSD...

Cheers.

Jules

Return to “Newbie's”