Hi, Newbie and wetsuit advice

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
Glen

Hi, Newbie and wetsuit advice

Postby Glen » 07 Jan 2016, 22:42

Hello everybody, I'm Glen and I'm looking to get out on the water asap but wondered if I could get some advice on wetsuits.

I've been thinking of getting one of the more expensive wetsuits as they have stretch seams, polygiene and M-flex2 neoprene.

My thinking is, it may cost more but it will last longer and be easier to maintain and be more comfortable. But is that the case? What are people's experiences with suits they've had?

Then the other biggy is chest zip or back zip? Chest zip will be much warmer and more comfortable right?

Thanks in advance for your advice, and I look forward to meeting you all :)

blast

Re: Hi, Newbie and wetsuit advice

Postby blast » 07 Jan 2016, 23:32

Hi Glen, best bet is to pop down for a chat and we can show you the main options and different suits....but the bottom line is any suit is only as good as the fit.

We have sold a lot of suits form Mystic from the Star up to the Legend, they are all good but the higher end suits do have extra features but to be honest none of these will make them last longer.

Regards the back/front zip it's purely a personal thing....the fronts are generally less flushing but can be a pita to get into/out of!!

Speak soon.
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Alexxx

Postby Alexxx » 08 Jan 2016, 00:42

Hi Glen.
Like Marc says, fit, fit, fit. Not tight, definitely not loose, just snug all over. If you get one that isn't snug you'll regret it far more than if you choose one with/without liquid seams or similar. Nor will you care about where the zip is if your freezing in a loose suit. ;)
I've wondered if the stretchier neoprenes can allow an otherwise tighter fit to be more forgiving..

St3v3t

Postby St3v3t » 08 Jan 2016, 08:44

be careful with a tighter fit in the softer suite as you can/will reduce the insulation properties as when the suit is stretched the effective thickness is reduced.

suit must fit correctly to perform at its best

try as many as possible until you find the right one for you irrespective of price and brand
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!

Wenglish

Postby Wenglish » 08 Jan 2016, 10:23

I'll also be looking for a new suit and for my own personal reasons a back zip is looking good. Definatly try them on and get the fit right.

St3v3t

Postby St3v3t » 08 Jan 2016, 10:36

a new suit with backwards folding arms?

Wenglish

Postby Wenglish » 08 Jan 2016, 10:39

Hopfully not :lol:
That lump next to my left nipple where the bicep should be is the top of my arm :oops:
I can't wait to get back out, as soon as I'm able to drive im going to turn up with my camera just to be involved in some small way.

Glen

Postby Glen » 08 Jan 2016, 12:04

Thanks for all the replies/advice guys, I'll have to pop down and try a bunch on Marc.
Wenglish, can't beat a bit of gas&air whilst they relocate it hey :? How did you do that???

St3v3t

Postby St3v3t » 08 Jan 2016, 15:29

Let me know if you want a lift any time. I can swing past and pick you up any time I'm going out wenglish

Wenglish

Postby Wenglish » 08 Jan 2016, 21:05

I came down from a jump and crashed. I wasn't in shallow water but put my left arm out and I think the force of the water and the wave I crashed into just popped it out. Mother nature is more than capable of handing you your backside lol

Glen

Postby Glen » 08 Jan 2016, 22:44

Wow.....I hope that gets better soon bud :shock:

blast

Postby blast » 11 Jan 2016, 13:06

Just wanted to add a little that some of the features on the Mystic suits are particularly important to kitesurfing. The suits are developed specifically for kiting so they are way better in many ways than a regular off the shelf surf suit.

The Aquaflush being one of the most important, unlike surfing and other watersports, kitesurfers suffer from "elephant" or "grannys" legs where the water rushes up the ankles and then gets stuck in the lower legs...this allows the ankle to drain.
Also the shin guards can be a massive plus..you will know why once a tt smacks you in the shins!

Mystic Crossfire FEATURES:

100% GBS (Glued Blind Stitched)
Critical taping inside
Back-zip entry
Double neck construction
Overhead backup
4-way stretch kneepads
Velcro ankle closure straps included
Non slip cuffs
Shin protection
Key pocket
Aquaflush
Lining saver
MATERIALS:

M-Flex neoprene (70%)
Polar lining (plush) inside

Sometimes the most extremely soft-stretchy neoprene is not as long lasting as others, so a bit of compromise is needed. The same applies to gloves/boots etc
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Glen

Postby Glen » 11 Jan 2016, 13:56

Thanks Marc
Yeah the cross fire looks like the most impressive suit for the money, it's more initial cost but if it means I can spend another hour or so on the water and be comfortable enough to concentrate on learning to kitesurf then it pays for itself over the life of the suit!
I'll pop over on Wednesday.

Return to “Newbie's”