First board starts - ideal depth - ideal wind speeds?

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
sideshowbob

First board starts - ideal depth - ideal wind speeds?

Postby sideshowbob » 29 Dec 2015, 19:16

Hello all - a few questions!

So I was trying to board start today, doubtless in the way of some of you lot at Coney. I found myself in something of a quandry. In the shallows I'm not confident there's enough depth to cushion my fall if it all goes wrong (e.g. I get lofted or dragged). Go deeper and I'm getting hammered by waves so struggle to get going, bearing in mind I'm new to all this. Deeper again and I'm swimming so obviously not ideal!

What's the minimum water depth I should be practicing board starts in? knee, thigh, waist?

Another conundrum is when to come out in the first place. At my stage, what's the minimum and maximum wind and gust speed I should be looking for? Got kites from 7-12m but pretty old and knackered, I'd rather be on the 9.

blast

Re: First board starts - ideal depth - ideal wind speeds?

Postby blast » 29 Dec 2015, 19:30

Minimum depth is thigh deep, ie deep enough to break your fall and not break your collar bone etc

Wind strengths, today was pretty much on the money. It needs to be around 15-20mph ideally.
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
#supportyourlocalshop

sideshowbob

Postby sideshowbob » 29 Dec 2015, 22:33

Thanks Marc

so 15-20mph average, gusting er, not more than 30? for the 9m kite?

What about with the 7?

blast

Postby blast » 30 Dec 2015, 09:52

sideshowbob wrote:Thanks Marc

so 15-20mph average, gusting er, not more than 30? for the 9m kite?

What about with the 7?

As a beginner you will not want to head out in winds approaching 30mph + as they tend to be gusty (here in the UK at least) and especially on the 9m. Winds over 30mph tend to be combined with shitty squally weather and the risks then stack up very quickly, things can go wrong in the blink of an eye.

You will prob not use the 7m much (at your weight) till you are in total control of the kite and properly up and riding confident as this is the kite to be on when it picks up ie the gusty 30mph + winds.....like today.

Have you checked out this too?
http://www.vimeo.com/137763067
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
#supportyourlocalshop

Alexxx

Postby Alexxx » 30 Dec 2015, 13:52

I can completely understand your reason for asking about water depth. As a sightly more advanced learner I've frequently found myself sitting back for a launch and finding I'm bumping along the bottom. Its hard work fighting the chop and getting a bit further out but definitely worth it. There's a few times I've regretted not making the effort and getting a few knocks, fortunately only bruises. Hard work ain't it? But keep trying.

Return to “Newbie's”