Waves, pesky waves!

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
the plod

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby the plod » 29 Sep 2017, 21:44

Aberavon today, 16-20 SW, big waves. Kite up, walk into water to get deep enough to start. Feet in board - massive wave sends me towards beach, back onto sand again. Out of board, walk out into water again, fighting against waves and wind, wait for a gap, feet in board, dip kite off I go, massive wave rips board off my feet, spins me around, kite drops, board goes on to beach without me. Fetch board, back into water and repeat! ......... You get the drift!

It was exhausting. I got a few rides but every time I was getting somewhere, another freakin wave spoilt the party. God how I wish for a nice flat bit of water just to get used to having a board on my feet for more than a few seconds at a time! Any suggestions?

Apparently Pendine is flat water, but it is long way off. I know I must get used to waves, but can't I just get used to the damn board first? I will not give up but god how annoying this sport can be. Not only must the tide be right, the wind strength must be right, then the wind direction must be right, then the waves better not be too big, then I need a day off work with no demands from family. I will be 80 before I get this!

Struggling on.

St3v3t

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby St3v3t » 29 Sep 2017, 22:01

Fear not it will not be long before you crave conditions just like that all the time .

Every day out kiting is a school day and always fun ;)
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!

Stoney

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby Stoney » 29 Sep 2017, 22:07

That's pretty much how I was feeling until a day not long ago where the wind was almost exactly cross shore and the waves were not to big. Much easier to get over them when going straight at them.

Having got the feeling, I now struggle less when it's onshore. You seem to need to get up some speed, turn into them, lift the nose/hop over and then turn back away from the wind before you lose too much speed. They sometimes seem to tow you along behind them, but you need to follow them downwind to get up some speed before you can escape them. Once you get more confident and are hitting them faster it's actually easier.

I'm sure all/any of this is correct but hopefully it's helpful from a noob's perspective.

Stoney

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby Stoney » 29 Sep 2017, 22:14

Oh, also - something that helped when i was slower getting up.. feet in the board just before a wave, let it wash over you and then, as long as it hasn't dragged you too far, you can try and get going with the maximum time available before the next one comes. I probably got dragged in 50% of the time doing this but it was the only way I could get enough space.
Last edited by Stoney on 29 Sep 2017, 22:23, edited 1 time in total.

St3v3t

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby St3v3t » 29 Sep 2017, 22:20

There you go you are working out what's what. Lessons learned, understood and in time refined to perfection.

The best bit about this sport is every wave, board start, transition etc is different from the last one so no opportunity to get bored.

blast

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby blast » 30 Sep 2017, 09:06

All great info above, the other thing to think about is being as super quick as you can to get the feet in the straps. The quicker you are the less chance of being knocked/swung/dragged around by the surf. The more you get down the more practice you get at this the quicker and less of an ordeal this will become.
The conditions yesterday were about as harsh as they can get mind, today it's Southerly soo will have a slight angle on the wind direction from the left...it does help having a bit of an angle whilst trying to get over the waves ;)

Stick at it though, we all went through it! :lol:
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
#supportyourlocalshop

splashtestdummy

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby splashtestdummy » 30 Sep 2017, 09:29

Hang on in there Jon...youll get there.. :D

Smithy

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby Smithy » 30 Sep 2017, 11:39

This post could have been written by me. :D
I decided to give it a miss yesterday , with nearly 4 hrs driving i need it to be worth it.

the plod

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby the plod » 30 Sep 2017, 17:58

Thanks all for the advice and encouragement, it is needed. I'll be back and I will get this. Good point about timing of the waves and yes I do need to get on the board quicker. Straps to be loosened a tad for next time.

I do though feel more comfortable with on-shore winds for the fact that boarding off into the wide blue yonder seems a bit scary at the moment. However, perhaps I don't have to go out too far.

All kit back in the car for the next opportunity.

the plod

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby the plod » 10 Oct 2017, 17:02

I went to Bournemouth for the Marathon last weekend and did some research on where to kite board. Poole harbour came up as a possibility and last Saturday (7th) I went there for a session. No waves at all! I paid my £5 day permit and ploughed a trough through the calm shallow waters of the bay in the harbour. Fantastic session for a newbie, no waves to knock me off, loads of metres travelled, I felt like a proper kite boarder!

If you are a newbie and need time on the board without waves spoiling the party, try Poole Harbour, I was lucky with the wind being a solid westerly but this bay works on anything from a NNW to a SSW. Parking is a tad expensive and you have to pay the £5 day permit, but as someone needing time on the board, it was worth every penny.

It is very shallow for about 200m, so even though there is very little room on the narrow beach to launch, get someone to help you launch when you are 50m into the water. I stayed in Bournemouth which is is only a few miles away from this bay which is on the East side of the harbour, right next to the Bournemouth sea front. I may even go back for a mid week session soon, if the weather is good. A long way to travel so may go for a few days. It was a bit busy on Saturday and weekends are inevitably busier, but even for a beginner like me, I found enough space to do my thing.

I am now looking forward to my next session, waves or no waves, with renewed optimism!

Smithy

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby Smithy » 11 Oct 2017, 17:51

Im off down to Dorset for a weekend of kiting at Poole and Portland , can't wait. I haven't been out for ages.

St3v3t

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby St3v3t » 11 Oct 2017, 18:11

If you guys seek flat water from time to time don't forget about Llanelli much closer than Pool or Portsmouth Harbours.

Smithy

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby Smithy » 11 Oct 2017, 19:11

St3v3t wrote:If you guys seek flat water from time to time don't forget about Llanelli much closer than Pool or Portsmouth Harbours.

Thanks ,will check that out also.

blast

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby blast » 11 Oct 2017, 20:02

Do remember flat water often means shallow too....watch those wrists/shoulders etc
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk
#supportyourlocalshop

Smithy

Waves, pesky waves!

Postby Smithy » 11 Oct 2017, 20:40

blast wrote:Do remember flat water often means shallow too....watch those wrists/shoulders etc

Yes that freaked me out last time i was there. Also how stoney it was at portland and how little space they all have for setting up the kites and launching. I do love the big open beach at Rest . Im going to love the waves one day too. :D

Return to “Newbie's”