Airush flow 12m newbie questions

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
Gomensa

Postby Gomensa » 22 Sep 2017, 11:33

Hi all

I have a few questions on the kite I just bought. In hindsight I probably should have done more research, but I am where I am. I completed a 3 day course at Camber Rye through the kite surf centre (can highly recommend). The kite is a 12m airush. It is a 5 line C shape kite. I have read that it is a good beginners kite, but I was also told to stay away from a 5 line C shape kite. So I am a bit confused. What are your thoughts on using this kite to continue practising.

Secondly, the bar and lines are a bit weathered and the chicken loop system is quite old. I will use them for now but wanted some advice on upgrading these. Will any airush 5 line bar work with this kite? Also can I upgrade pieces at different times, like this month I upgrade my lines and next month the chicken loop system, etc?

Thanks in advance for the advice

splashtestdummy

Postby splashtestdummy » 25 Sep 2017, 00:04

Gomensa wrote:Hi all

I have a few questions on the kite I just bought. In hindsight I probably should have done more research, but I am where I am. I completed a 3 day course at Camber Rye through the kite surf centre (can highly recommend). The kite is a 12m airush. It is a 5 line C shape kite. I have read that it is a good beginners kite, but I was also told to stay away from a 5 line C shape kite. So I am a bit confused. What are your thoughts on using this kite to continue practising.

Secondly, the bar and lines are a bit weathered and the chicken loop system is quite old. I will use them for now but wanted some advice on upgrading these. Will any airush 5 line bar work with this kite? Also can I upgrade pieces at different times, like this month I upgrade my lines and next month the chicken loop system, etc?

Thanks in advance for the advice

WOW. No one has responded so heres my observations.
I suppose welcome is first to be said.
In response to your post-
Yes you are right, more research was probably necessary, exactly what research did you do that led you to making this purchase? Who sold this kit to you, was it a friend, if so consider unfriending them, if it was a shop, no it wouldn't have been a shop.
I too "can highly recommend" a great company, we are in fact on their forum, they too do lessons but also coaching, sales, holidays etc etc and are at the heart of the kiting community in South Wales. Look them up they are a friendly lot :lol:
You say that you read that it was a good beginner's kite, who and when was this written ? Whether or not to use a piece of equipment is always going to be your call so the best answer to that is that if I was fresh out of my first lessons I definitely would not.
Secondly(there was no firstly) I think the flow was a 2003-2009 kite. Thats old, lets pick a year in the middle and say its a 2006 which makes it 11 years old!! You describe the equipment as old and weathered which is to be expected given its age, frankly I'm surprised it's all in one piece. You go on to say you will be upgrading in stages. At this point I need to aware of this the scene in Only Fools And Horses where Trigger talks about his replacing the parts of his broom, have a watch its very funny and then hopefully you will see my point (here's the link- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1VNNbSYdt0 ) What I'm alluding too is if you are going to "upgrade" the lines, chicken loop and other parts of the bar then you will effectively be getting a new bar. Why not simply get a new bar? Of course a new bar attached to a kite of that age is solving only half of your problem, you will still have a very old and used "C" kite that is likely to be in the same weathered condition that you describe and of a very old design and not suitable to learn on. Kite fabric, bridles and bladders all deteriorate with age and use, so it is reasonable to expect that all these will be in a poor state and in need of replacement.
So, its an old kite bar and lines in poor condition and unsuitable for learning. If the whole lot is of an age that it needs to be upgraded you basically need a whole new bar lines and kite. Sell the gear or get your money back and buy the best possible equipment you can with the money you have, if you don't have enough money there's an old fashioned concept called waiting and saving ones wages, I'm not sure that its that widely used or practiced these days but I can recommend it.
Cheap kites are cheap for a reason.

blast

Postby blast » 25 Sep 2017, 13:03

I didn't reply to this as if I did you would only have thought my answer was based on me trying to sell you a new kite but the answer above says it all really.

Kitesurfing is a very challenging new sport to learn...even on the latest easiest kites available.
Learning on something like the kite you have bought will be a whole lat harder and often as we continue to see it just does not happen!

This is not what you will want to hear but personally I'd stick it on Ebay and start again!!
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Gomensa

Postby Gomensa » 25 Sep 2017, 13:21

Hi all

Thanks for the advise. Really helpful. I have done a three day course and will be going for more private tuition over the coming weeks, months. The school I am using have said let's try use it in my next lesson and see how it feels, obviously after they have inspected it to make sure it is safe to use. It's not going to be in crazy winds and will be with an instructor and a few others around, so theoretically not too unsafe. If I / they feel it's unsafe we stop using it and get something else.

blast

Postby blast » 25 Sep 2017, 14:43

Gomensa wrote:Hi all

Thanks for the advise. Really helpful. I have done a three day course and will be going for more private tuition over the coming weeks, months. The school I am using have said let's try use it in my next lesson and see how it feels, obviously after they have inspected it to make sure it is safe to use. It's not going to be in crazy winds and will be with an instructor and a few others around, so theoretically not too unsafe. If I / they feel it's unsafe we stop using it and get something else.

That sounds a good plan but it is not just about it being safe! Like I said above learning to kitesurf is a huge challenge even on the latest easiest kites available, back in 2003 it was way way way harder and the vast majority never did learn.......Unlike today where most do (with enough commitment) progress to a stage whereby they can actually call themselves kitesurfers.
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

Gomensa

Postby Gomensa » 25 Sep 2017, 14:53

Understood, and taken onboard. I have a bench mark to compare with as I used a new kite on the course.

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 25 Sep 2017, 15:03

http://airush.com/2017/history/2003/

I also found this thread on the Australian forum.
https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... iew?page=1
"My main concern for a beginner is that they might not learn to edge properly as you can turn off the power so easily - this is a message that we have to make sure we give to learners as i believe one of the most rewarding aspects of kiting is linking kite power to your rail and using edging to control it - resulting in a faster and more dynamic ride. Possibly an endangered thrill as more and more riders learn on this style of kite"

I found all the above from googling 'Airush Flow'
0x27

Gomensa

Postby Gomensa » 25 Sep 2017, 15:10

Thanks. I also found those which informed my decision to bid/buy the kite. I think I got a bit nervous after reading all the opinions on not using a C 5 line kite for beginners. The kite is in really good condition, one or two patches but otherwise has got life in it for a season or two for a beginner (my novice opinion).

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 25 Sep 2017, 16:00

You'll probably find it harder to control the power, because the kites you learnt on were probably pull & go kites. eg. you pull the bar in and it creates power, you push the bar away, you lose the power - simple. Nice an easy, helps you get going, lets you think more about all the other stuff you need to multi task with in your early days.

Something like the Flow you need to be able to edge the power. eg, push down harder on your back foot and the board digs in more pushing you into a more upwind angle and pushing the kite more to the edge of the wind window - killing off the power.
It's very easy to have to much power and not know how to deal/handle it. Given time, you will learn this skill and it will become second nature.

But everybody is different and everybody's learning curve is different. You may well have the skills to manage the kite, you may not.

If your instructor has offered to check it over and get it up in the air for a go, do it, get a feel for it. But you'll need more than one go, to get a true feel for it.
see if you can get him to go for a quick ride, say a couple of tacks. He'll know if it's working alright or not. He might not be keen, but ask.

The thing with some older kites (early bow kites), they fell out of the sky as soon as you pushed the bar away. You had to keep them flying.

I've not tried the Flows, but by the sounds of it, it might not be that bad. But not so sure as a first kite, when there are so many better kites out there. I suspect it was cheap and that's what had you 'hooked' because kites are so expensive.

As in many things in life, by cheap, buy twice.

For a newbie, IMHO, a Delta style kite is a good choice, you'll spend less time being scared shitless and having less of a battle and more time learning the skills having fun.

For sure, give the Flow a go. You might find it works for you. :)
0x27

Gomensa

Postby Gomensa » 25 Sep 2017, 16:27

I have a session this Sunday wind permitting. Will report back.

Thanks for all the advise, much appreciated

AbsC1

Postby AbsC1 » 26 Sep 2017, 11:25

Hi,
I fell into the same trap as you. (However at the time of buying the kite was 4 years old) I bought a C shape kite (North Vegas) which there was nothing wrong with. It was just the wrong type of kite for me at the time (and probably still would be). As beginner I found that the kite spends a lot of time in the water. Sometimes for reasons like concentrating to put the board on your feet. The C kite (2009) made it a lot harder to re launch when dropped as it wouldn't move easily to the edge of the wind window. I spent most of my time getting frustrated and probably ending sessions early. ( believe me Autumn and winter are not the time of year you want to spend floating around in the sea - you get cold very quickly)

I bought the kite to see if I would get it to kitesurfing and it probably almost ended up with me stopping. instead of stopping, I bit the bullet and bought new kites based on advice and knowledge of instructors and it didn't take long for me to progress and get going. Also the confidence grew with this.

Problem is kitesurfing is an expensive sport and a lot of time when this is being avoided, mistakes on equipment are made. If you can't afford to buy new kit (which is fair enough) then the second hand area on here is a great place to look. good second hand equipment and end of season "school kites" appear frequently.
Airush Diamond Series , Bronotti Riptide

Return to “Newbie's”