Handle on Surfboard?

Introduce yourself... Ask for advice...
Julez

Handle on Surfboard?

Postby Julez » 16 Apr 2017, 14:12

This may sound mad but has anyone attached a TT handle to a KS surfboard to help those early days getting feet into the straps ?

I've an older board and don't mind adding some new screw holes for one.

Just a thought.

Jules

Sonnyrider

Re: Handle on Surfboard?

Postby Sonnyrider » 16 Apr 2017, 15:56

Erm, no..

use the foot straps and or the tail pad to grab hold of. Even some wax on the rail will help with gripping the board.

But a handle? on a surfboard? :lol:

:D
0x27

blast

Postby blast » 16 Apr 2017, 19:21

Julez wrote:This may sound mad but has anyone attached a TT handle to a KS surfboard to help those early days getting feet into the straps ?

I've an older board and don't mind adding some new screw holes for one.

Just a thought.

Jules

OMG NO!!!! :o
If you really think you need a handle on a surfboard then I'm afraid you are simply not ready to be starting on a surfboard!! :lol:
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop
http://www.blastkiteboarding.co.uk

blast

Postby blast » 16 Apr 2017, 19:38

Hell you really don't even need a handle on a TT, in fact Blankforce even refused to put inserts on the high end boards until recently.
You already have TWO great big handles on there why add another ;)
Epic / F-One / Shinn / Peter Lynn / Mystic / Airush / CrazyFly / Fluid / Blankforce / Moses / Axis / Ozone

#supportyourlocalshop

Julez

Postby Julez » 17 Apr 2017, 09:27

As the handles aren't in a place to assist using one hand.

It was just a thought..I can get up and go on the surfboard.. Just..But takes a few minutes of phaffing, board floating away, legs sprawling over board and feet barely in straps when i do get up and go

I"ll just keep practicing. Strapless is my goal this year. Along with lots of body dragging fetching board.

Just got used to a handle so I'll need to adjust technique.

Thanks for the advice. I'll think up some more stupid questions to keep everyone laughing.

Jules

blast

Postby blast » 17 Apr 2017, 09:41

Julez wrote:As the handles aren't in a place to assist using one hand.

It was just a thought..I can get up and go on the surfboard.. Just..But takes a few minutes of phaffing, board floating away, legs sprawling over board and feet barely in straps when i do get up and go

I"ll just keep practicing. Strapless is my goal this year. Along with lots of body dragging fetching board.

Thanks for the advice. I'll think up some more stupid questions to keep everyone laughing.

Jules

It certainly made me laugh, that is a question I've never had before thats for sure!!
So are you going to have handle on your strapless surfboard?
A handle on a surfboard would be a crime, much like crocs with socks, I've banned people on the forum for less ;)

Stick with it, it just takes practice. ;)

#supportyourlocalshop

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 17 Apr 2017, 09:42

While I think about the trials of getting onto a SB with straps.

As I remember it...
If going left. I used to hold the board at the back end, with my right hand/arm, put your forearm over the tail pad, holding the rail on the other side. I would then put my front (left) foot in the strap. You would steady the board with your left foot, then as you go to put your right foot in, you let go of the tail pad end.

If going right, I would hold the front/nose of the board and do the same.

This is all dependent on what works for you and the wind & wave direction.

There is no need for a 'handle' you just need to learn the way that works for you. With the furniture, if any, on the board.

Also once a foot or both feet are on the board, if you position the kite a little lower, the wind will help keep the board steady as the kite pulls you onto the board. Keeping the kite high isn't the way to get on a SB in my experience. Keep it a little lower as it helps pull you onto the board. But, the more you faff, the longer the water start will take and you'll also get blown along or onto the beach, leaving you less water depth to get going in.

You'll want a little more depth for the water starts over a TT. I find, for me, I need to be at least knee deep. Anything less I can drag a fin. But that's me :)

If you want to get on the SB, then stop using the TT and live on the SB. It'll come easier, with time. But, you have to drop the TT mentality. It's a different game.

Over time, it'll be much, much easier. But it's about practicing and time spent in the differing conditions.

Even now a year later, I can have bad days and I struggle getting onto the board. But I think i't's down to conditions and a beach I've not experienced before. Or, the wind is light, without the kite pulling me onto the board, it is difficult to hold with your feet.

:)
Last edited by Sonnyrider on 17 Apr 2017, 09:54, edited 1 time in total.
0x27

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 17 Apr 2017, 09:47

blast wrote:It certainly made me laugh, that is a question I've never had before thats for sure!!

Yes, I laughed too :lol:

blast wrote:So are you going to have handle on your strapless surfboard?

That's just wrong, on so many levels.

blast wrote:A handle on a surfboard would be a crime, much like crocs with socks, I've banned people on the forum for less ;)

Stick with it, it just takes practice. ;)

Crocks are lesbian shoes. I have a pair. I am lesbian. :D
But I only use them for accessing rocky/stony beaches. I have soft feet that bruise easily. But never with socks. Can I still comment? :?: :)
0x27

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 17 Apr 2017, 09:50

Julez wrote:As the handles aren't in a place to assist using one hand.

Jules

Using one hand takes a little practice. Took me a while too. Persevere, it'll be worth it.

How about just getting your front foot in a strap and putting your back foot in front of the rear strap, until you get up and going, then, put your foot in after?
0x27

blast

Postby blast » 17 Apr 2017, 09:51

Great reply, but as I mentioned if he's even thinking of putting a handle on a surfboard then he simply isn't ready :o

I actually do the opposite to you regards grabbing the rail near the front or the rear of the board, you have to just work out which was is best for you...i.e. practice as you say!

Blimey if it was as simple as putting a handle on a board I'd have put one on the Foil board, my snowboard, my skateboard, my.......you get the picture.
JUST NO! ;)

I read somewhere the other day that having a blow job from another man feels good just the same from a hot chick untill you look down and realise your GAY

#supportyourlocalshop

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 17 Apr 2017, 10:02

Kinda, but I think it's just a case of. "A handle works and makes my life easier on a TT"
Can I do the same with the SB?

Technically, Yes, is the answer, but, we both know it's wrong. :? :o :ugeek:

Yeah, I grab the rail close to me now. As I am very comfortable with the board. I have learnt, get a foot or two on quickly, keep the kite a little lower, then everything is steady and secure. A lot of the time if i's close enough, I'll 'grab' it with a foot and use my feet to position it. No hands needed ;)

But in the beginning I put my arm over the board as my weight helped keep the board steady, while I faffed around in the shallows :)
It's a painful process, this learning malarkey, but the as the time passes, the skills improve. :)
0x27

blast

Postby blast » 17 Apr 2017, 10:16

Sonnyrider wrote:Technically, Yes, is the answer, but, we both know it's wrong. :? :o :ugeek:

Like sandles with socks, wearing a dry suit with a surfboard etc etc ;)

PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

#supportyourlocalshop

St3v3t

Postby St3v3t » 17 Apr 2017, 11:42

So in summary crocks good without socks, handles bad? ;)
When you leave the beach ONLY leave your footprints!

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 17 Apr 2017, 13:08

St3v3t wrote:So in summary crocks good without socks, handles bad? ;)

Nope, both are bad :lol:

But, I got fed-up hobbling across beaches with pebbles or rocks. My favourite flip flops fell apart, and had to find a suitable replacement, one that will be left on the beach ;)
0x27

Sonnyrider

Postby Sonnyrider » 17 Apr 2017, 13:13

Sonnyrider wrote:How about just getting your front foot in a strap and putting your back foot in front of the rear strap, until you get up and going, then, put your foot in after?

Thinking about it, If I were you, I would forget getting your foot into the back strap for a water start. You're probably still heavy on your back foot, so keeping that back foot a little forward will help with the start. So just put it in front of the rear strap.

If your goal is strapless, then, why are you doing straps? Just ditch them and learn strapless now, it makes it easier IMO, as you can place your feet where they need to be.
0x27

Return to “Newbie's”